The Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for college and university students is a government initiative aimed at fostering higher education accessibility in India.
Established to support economically disadvantaged students, this scheme provides financial assistance to those pursuing undergraduate studies.
The program focuses on covering essential costs like tuition fees and other educational expenses, ensuring that deserving students can pursue their academic goals without financial barriers.
By promoting inclusivity and equal opportunities, the scheme plays a crucial role in empowering students to achieve their educational aspirations and contribute meaningfully to society.
Table of Contents
Details of Scholarship Scheme for College and University Students
Central sector scholarship scheme for college and university students, initiated by the Department of Higher Education under the Ministry of Education, addresses the financial needs of meritorious students hailing from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
This program assists in covering a portion of their day-to-day expenses while pursuing higher studies. With a focus on inclusivity, the scheme allocates a maximum of 82,000 fresh scholarships annually for students enrolled in graduate or postgraduate degrees across various colleges and universities.
Additionally, students pursuing professional courses like Medical and Engineering are eligible, promoting equal opportunities for those aspiring to excel in diverse fields.
The eligibility criteria for this scholarship are based on the results of the Higher Secondary or Class 12th Board Examination, targeting students above the 80th percentile in the relevant stream.
The scheme offers financial aid at ₹12,000 per annum for the first three years of undergraduate courses and ₹20,000 per annum for postgraduate studies. For students undertaking professional courses with a five-year duration, the scholarship increases to ₹20,000 per annum in the 4th and 5th year.
However, for technical courses like B.Tech and B.Engg., the scholarship is limited to ₹12,000 per annum for the first three years and ₹20,000 in the 4th year. This initiative strives to make quality education accessible to all, ensuring that financial constraints do not hinder deserving students from pursuing their academic dreams.
Objectives of the Scholarship Scheme
- The Scholarship Scheme aims to provide financial assistance to meritorious students from economically challenged backgrounds.
- The primary goal is to alleviate the day-to-day expenses of students pursuing higher education, enabling them to focus on their studies without financial burdens.
- Promote equal opportunities by awarding scholarships based on Higher Secondary or Class 12th Board Examination results.
- With a maximum of 82,000 fresh scholarships annually, the program supports students pursuing graduate, postgraduate, and professional courses in recognized institutions.
- The initiative aims to bridge financial gaps and make quality education accessible to a wider range of deserving students.
Benefits of the Scheme
The Scholarship Scheme for College and University Students offers financial benefits tailored to different academic levels and course durations:
- 12,000 per annum is provided at the Graduation level, supporting students throughout the first three years of their college and university courses.
- For Post-Graduation level studies, a higher annual scholarship of ₹20,000 is awarded, aiding students in pursuing advanced degrees.
- Those enrolled in professional courses spanning five years, including integrated courses, receive Rs. 20,000 per annum specifically during the 4th and 5th years.
- Students pursuing technical courses like B.Tech and B.Engg. are eligible for Rs. 12,000 per annum during the initial three years and an increased scholarship of Rs. 20,000 in the 4th year.
These benefits aim to ease financial constraints and encourage students to excel in their chosen fields of study.
Eligibility for Scholarship Benefits
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Achieve a percentile above 80% in the relevant stream in the Class 12th Board Examination or its equivalent.
- Be enrolled in regular degree courses at recognized colleges or institutions, excluding correspondence, distance mode, or Diploma courses.
- Pursue courses accredited by the All India Council for Technical Education and respective Regulatory Bodies.
- The student must not avail benefits from other scholarship schemes, including state-run programs, fee waivers, or reimbursement schemes.
- Demonstrate a gross parental/family income not exceeding ₹4,50,000 per annum.
- For scholarship renewal each year, students must maintain at least 50% marks in the Annual Examination and ensure a minimum attendance of 75%.
These straightforward eligibility criteria aim to support deserving students in their pursuit of higher education.
Exclusion of the Scholarship
- Excludes students enrolled in correspondence or distance education, as well as those pursuing Diploma courses.
- Does not extend benefits to students already receiving assistance from other scholarship schemes, including state-run programs, fee waivers, and reimbursement schemes.
- Ensures a focused approach by targeting regular degree courses and maintaining exclusivity for eligible candidates.
By excluding certain categories, the scholarship aims to allocate resources effectively and support those who meet the specified criteria. These exclusions streamline the selection process, directing resources toward deserving candidates pursuing recognized courses.
Reservation for Scholarship
- Students from reserved categories, weaker sections, minorities, etc., can avail benefits based on merit under the Central Reservation Policy.
- The Central Reservation Policy designates 15% of seats for SCs, 7.5% for STs, 27% for OBCs, and 5% horizontally for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) in all categories.
- Reservation is implemented annually, ensuring adherence to the specified percentages for each group.
- If specific reserved category slots remain unfilled across States/UTs, they are reallocated to other categories to maximize benefits for eligible students.
- The overall allocation of slots, however, remains within the established limits.
This straightforward reservation system aims to provide equal opportunities to students from diverse backgrounds.
Documents Required for the Scholarship
- Bank Passbook is necessary for providing bank details to facilitate direct scholarship transfers.
- Aadhaar Number serves as a unique identification requirement for the application process.
- Parental Income Certificate is essential to verify that the gross family income does not exceed ₹4,50,000 per annum.
- An active e-mail ID is required for communication and updates related to the scholarship application.
- Caste Certificate is mandatory for eligible candidates from reserved categories, ensuring adherence to the Central Reservation Policy.
- Disability Certificate is needed for applicants seeking benefits under the 5% horizontal reservation for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs).
These documents collectively ensure a smooth and transparent process for students to avail the benefits of the scholarship scheme.
To receive the scholarship benefits, students must open a bank account in their name. The scholarship amount will be directly transferred to their savings accounts through the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode.
Students can conveniently track their payment status by visiting the “Know Your Payment” template on the Public Financial Management System (PFMS) portal.
They can check the status using their Aadhaar number, bank account number, or NSP Application ID, ensuring a transparent and accessible process for disbursing scholarship funds.
Application procedure for the scholarship is as follows:
- Online applications are the sole method for submitting scholarship requests, and verification of credentials is facilitated through the DIGILOCKER facility of the MeitY, Govt. of India.
- The National Scholarships Portal (NSP) at www.scholarships.gov.in outlines the opening and closing timelines for the application process.
- Application, verification, selection, and disbursement guidelines adhere to the procedures established by the NSP.
- NSP displays a selection list, and online applications undergo verification at two levels: by the student’s Institute and subsequently by the respective State Higher Education Department or appointed State Nodal Agency.
- The latest Timelines guideline is accessible on NSP, ensuring transparency and accessibility for applicants.
- Delays in renewal or verification will not lead to permanent scholarship disqualification, but renewal applications must adhere to specified cutoff dates.
- Failure to meet renewal deadlines for the year will result in the non-approval of renewal applications. These straightforward procedures streamline the application and verification process for eligible students.
the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for College and University Students stands as a vital initiative in fostering inclusive education. By providing financial assistance to deserving students, the scheme breaks down economic barriers and promotes equal opportunities for higher studies.
The straightforward application process, reliance on recognized documents, and transparent selection criteria contribute to a streamlined and accessible program.
This scholarship not only supports students financially but also emphasizes the importance of merit and dedication in academic pursuits.
In essence, it strives to empower students, ensuring that financial constraints do not hinder their educational aspirations and contribute positively to their future and society at large.